Expert Panel

Forums Home > First Time Manager or Supervisor > Ask an Expert > How Do I Handle Subtle Insurbordination
You must log in to create new replies...
Replies for How Do I Handle Subtle Insurbordination

First Time Manager or Supervisor
PaddlesUpRiver

I was recently promoted to manager. I have been noticing a pattern of subtle insubordination and passive aggression from one particular person on my staff, let's call him Mike.

Here's the background: Up until I promoted a few months ago, Mike and I were coworkers. In fact, he's been with the company a lot longer than I have and is about 15 years my senior.

Some of the behaviors I have noted are: (1) interacting with and addressing another employee as “boss” and attempting to get direction from them on assignments and not me - his manager, (2) greeting other staff in the morning and when leaving for the day.

I know that there is nothing directly in our company policy that your staff is supposed to greet you in the morning, etc. But I find Mike's behavior very rude and disrespectful and believe it is negatively affecting others on my staff and it undermines my leadership.

I had a discussion with Mike about his behavior of which he did not deny. While he has stopped calling the other employee "boss", he has continued to be blatantly disrespectful by continuing to check-in with one of my staff in the morning (who has no supervisory duties).

How do I handle this??
You must log in to create new replies...
Our members have made a total of 1505 posts
The newest member is alexanderoliver
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

Survey

What part of your transition to management has been the most difficult?
>